You are here: Home / Recipes / / Healthy Snacks / Garlic Chickpea Croutons
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my affiliate policy.
Crunchyroasted chickpeas are easy to make and so tasty on salads, as a snack or to enjoy as a garnish on soup. To make these Garlic Chickpea Croutons crunchy, dry roasting is key! You’re going to love how simple and versatile these crispy chickpeas are!This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and easily gluten free.
Table of Contents
Roasted Garlic Chickpea Croutons
After trying to get chickpeas*crispy* while roasting with oil and seasonings, I didn’t think crispy chickpeas were possible because they never truly got crispy.
I then tried dry roasting chickpeas in the oven prior to adding oil and seasonings. I founddry roasting to be *key* in bringing chickpea croutons to their full potential.I’d been doing it all wrong!
This Roasted Chickpeas Recipe Is:
- Easy to Make
- Only 5 Ingredients
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chickpeas (aka: Garbanzo Beans): You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups or one can of cooked chickpeas. These can be from homemade or store bought.
- Garlic Granules: To season the chickpeas, I use garlic granules. You can sub garlic powder reducing it to half the amount called for in the recipe. Garlic powder has a finer consistency than garlic granules, so you’ll need less of it.
- Oil: For these Chickpea Croutons, you can use Olive Oil, Melted Coconut Oil or Avocado Oil.
- Lemon: Optional, but grating lemon zest over the just out of the oven roasted chickpeas induces a tempting lemony scent and offers these roasted chickpeas a boost of flavor.
- Italian Herbs: Sprinkled on the chickpeas after they come out of the oven, you can sub basil, or oregano here.
How to Make Roasted Chickpea Croutons
This recipe makes a small batch, but doubles with ease! Here’s how to make homemade roasted chickpea snacks (see recipe card for details):
- First, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Transfer to a large tea towel and gently rub the chickpeas to remove loose skins and excess liquid. Discard skins that have fallen off.
- Second, transfer the dry chickpeas to a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 19-23 minutes or until golden.Some chickpeas will be splitting.
- Third, mix the garlic granules, salt and oil, then pour over the hot chickpeas. Stir throughly so that all the chickpeas are coated.
- Next, return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes, until the chickpeas are dark golden and fragrant.
- Last, use a microplane to zest a lemon over the chickpeas and sprinkle on the dried Italian seasoning. Mix throughly with a spatula.
How to Store Roasted Chickpea Croutons
Allow the chickpeas to cool completely on a sheet pan, then transfer to a lidded container. Store at room temperature for up to two days. These roasted chickpeas do not need to be refrigerated.
Chickpea Croutons FAQs
Why Are My Chickpeas Not Crispy?
Before adding oil and seasonings to the chickpeas, you first need to dry them out. This can be done in the oven.Once the chickpeas are throughly dried, you can then add the oil and seasonings. Pop em’ back in the oven to finish roasting.
There’s a “window of crunchy” when dry roasting the chickpeas in the oven. That window is narrow – about four minutes. Dry roasting between 20-23 minutes is the window. Roasting less will give you slightly softer croutons while roasting more will create very crunchy chickpea croutons. This is the window of crunchy!Dry roast to your preference.
Do I Have to Remove the Chickpea Skin to Get Crispy Chickpea Croutons?
There’s no need to remove the chickpea skin to get crispy chickpea croutons. However, when patting the chickpeas to remove excess water prior to roasting, you can take the opportunity to remove any loose skins.
I did find the texture of skin removed chickpeas to be a bit crunchier, but overall, the result is similar enough leaving the chickpea skins on. Peeling chickpeas is a pain and I found the time investment not worth the effort.
How Long Do Roasted Chickpeas Croutons Last?
This Garlic ChickpeaCroutons Recipe will last in a covered container at room temperature for up to two days. They do take on a stale crunch as they continue to age, and I enjoy them this way. However, they taste crunchiest/best within about 24 hours.
Can I Use Garbanzo Beans For This Recipe?
Yes!You may see some cans of chickpeas labeled garbanzo beans. These are the same typeof legumes and can be used interchangeably.
How to Use Garlic Chickpea Croutons
- Roasted Chickpeas for Salad:So good as a crouton substitute or in addition to traditional croutons. Use these tasty seasoned roasted chickpea croutons when you want a little crunch and extra protein on your salad. They’re tasty on this VeganCaesar Salad with Kale,traditional Caesar Salads or anytime you want something a little extra.
- Top Soups: For crunch, texture and extra protein, these crispy chickpeas can be used as a garnish on soups. I like them most on creamy soups so their flavor and texture can shine. Try em on my Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup, Curried French Lentil Soup, or thisRibollita.
- Roasted Chickpea Snacks:What a delight to have these little pops of flavor on hand for snacking. They keep my hands out of the chip bag when crunchy cravings strike!
A Few Recipe Notes
- The Window of Crunchy:These little chickpeas can go from crunchyish to major crunchy in a short period of time. I call this the “window of crunchy” which is 20-23 minutes. Roast less for a softish crunch, roast for the full time for major crunch! The crunchier (dryer) the chickpea, the longer they’ll stay crunchy in storage.
- Play with the Flavors: Lemon and garlic is a classic flavor profile for chickpea croutons, but you can play with the flavors. Try a pinch of cayenne for a spicy kick, or for a smoky flavor, replace 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic with smoky paprika.
- Make More! This Chickpea Croutons Recipe doubles with ease. If making as a snack, I’ll double, but for a salad or soup, I make a single.
- Accurate Oven Temperature: Knowing the temperature of your oven produces the best results in cooking and baking. I use and recommend this Oven Thermometer with an Air Probe for accurate oven temperature readings (this is an affiliate link).
More Chickpea Recipes to Love
- Chickpea Burger Recipe
- Vegan Chickpea Salad
- Easy Artichoke Hummus
- Vegan “Crab” Cakes
Garlic Chickpea Croutons Recipe
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:23 minutes
Total Time:33 minutes
Crunchyroasted chickpeas are easy to make and so tasty on salads, as a snack or to enjoy as a garnish on soup. To make these Garlic Chickpea Croutons crunchy, dry roasting is key! This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and easily gluten free.
This recipe makes about 1 cup (105 grams) and doubles with ease!
- 1 1/2 cups (439 grams) Cooked Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Granules or sub with 1/2 + 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine Sea Salt + more to taste
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Zest optional but recommended
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Italian Herbs or dried basil or oregano
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius). Set an oven rack to the center of the oven. You can line a sheet pan with parchment or not.
Drain and rise the chickpeas. Transfer the chickpeas to a dry tea towel or several paper towels. Cover the chickpeas with the towel or a paper towel and using both hands gently roll the chickpeas around with the towel to gently remove excess water. Remove and discard any loose chickpea skins.
Transfer the chickpeas to the sheet pan and dry roast for 20-23 minutes, shaking the pan 3-4 times while roasting. They will start to crack and turn a dark golden color. Dry roast for 20 minutes for a softer crunch, up to 23 minutes for a more assertive crunch.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the garlic granules, salt and oil. Set aside.
Once the chickpeas are done dry roasting, pour the oil mixture over the hot chickpeas and stir until the chickpeas are throughly coated.
Return the pan to the oven and roast for 5-7 minutes, shaking the pan at least two times while in the oven. Watch the chickpeas closely as they can go from done to burned quickly. When done, the chickpeas will be a rich golden/brown color. Remove the chickpeas from the oven and add the lemon zest and dried herbs. Season with a pinch of salt. Stir. Cool completely.
To Store: Store at room temperature in a covered container for up to two days. They're best enjoyed within 24 hours.
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.
Serving: 3snacks | Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 29IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 3mg
Made It? Leave a comment below! The most helpful comment may include recipe rating, feedback, any modifications and/or helping other commenters. On Instagram? Take a snap of your make and share, tagging @VanillaAndBean #VanillaAndBean!
You might also like:
Join the Vanilla And Bean community to receive free sweet and savory vegetarian recipes, and get my Five Secrets to Vegetarian Cooking email series delivered to your inbox!
Previous Post: « Cranberry Orange Sourdough Bread
MaryAnn | The Beach House Kitchen
I can’t wait to give these a try Traci! I would love them for healthy snacking and in my salads!
Traci(Video) Crispy Oven Baked Chickpeas Recipe!
Hi Mare! Yessss! They’re so crunchy… omg, I could eat the whole batch in one setting lol! You’re going to love em’!
Share Your Thoughts!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.